Monday, March 7, 2011

Lessons

My daughter had her heart broken this weekend.  Her coach made a decision at a crucial time in a game that  undermined my daughter's confidence. Whether or not the decision was appropriate  is actually irrelevant to this post.  What matters is the lesson I needed to learn.

My mantra since the incident has been "If at the end of the day you are certain you did what was right for each child, then consider yourself a success"  This has actually been somewhat catty of me, because I do not for a minute believe this coach meant any harm.  I truly think she was focused more on the game than the individual at that point.  To my chagrin, I realized that today I am not doing my best for MY child--I have been rude, disrespectful and yes, even hateful to my son (who is definitely pushing my buttons--but who is the adult here??)

So, I will trust that the coach can understand my  concerns and will consider the impact of her actions from a slightly different viewpoint next time--even if she makes the same decision, I know it will be handled a bit differently. She is a good coach and a good person.  And I, well, I am going to take a bath and think about the best, most loving way I can say what needs to be said to my son so that when he and I go to bed tonight, we will have no doubt that I did what was right for him..

No comments:

Post a Comment